Retirement Planning Questions. Retirement Planning Answers.
For many people, retirement planning is issue #1. Concerns about Social Security, company pensions, and a volatile investment environment all add to the uncertainty. We simplify the complicated and help our clients ask and answer the right questions, using an evidence- and research-based framework for the important decisions each one must make.
At RPS, our typical retirement planning engagement starts with a thorough analysis of each client’s overall situation, with an emphasis on where they are relative to their retirement goals. For many clients, the answer is “right where I want to be”. For others, it may be “not quite on target yet”. If that’s the case, we can help figure out how to close that gap through improved savings plans, sharper portfolio management, and a review of other course corrections designed to put the plan back on target. We then review the plan on a periodic basis because retirement planning isn’t a one time thing. It’s an ongoing process focused on one thing: making sure our clients can retire in comfort and with peace of mind, knowing their plan is well-designed and well-implemented to support their long term goals.
Sound retirement planning — and the ongoing monitoring of each clients’ plan — can help ensure a secure and comfortable retirement. The following are some of the retirement-related questions we help our clients answer — and not just once but on an ongoing basis, addressing these issues — and others — as they arise.
- Do I or will I have enough? Am I going to be OK?
- How much will I need to retire, considering inflation, health care, additional travel and other retirement costs?
- How much should I be saving each year so that I can retire?
- What’s the earliest I could retire if I wanted to?
- How can I track my progress towards retirement over time?
- I’ve been offered an opportunity to retire with an ‘early-out’ package but I don’t know if I should. What should I do and how can I decide?
- What is the most appropriate pension option to select: lump sum, annuity, single life only, or joint-and-survivor?
- How should I coordinate my health insurance with respect to COBRA, Medicare and any gap period between the two?
- I’ve heard that the order I withdrawal / spend my investment funds can make a big difference in how long my money will last? What’s the right order for my specific situation?
- When should I take Social Security — at age 62, 66, or 70, or somewhere in between? And how should I coordinate spousal or ex-spousal benefits?
- I’ve heard that making a mistake on how to take my IRA or retirement plan distributions when I turn 70 can be really costly. How does this all work?
- Should long term care insurance be part of my plan?
We serve Denver, Littleton, Englewood, Parker, Highlands Ranch, Castle Rock, Lakewood, Centennial, Aurora and the Denver Tech Center from our Greenwood Village, CO Retirement Planning office.